In 2004, Portland joined the Chatham Health District. The District now includes the towns of East Hampton, East Haddam, Portland, Marlborough and Hebron. A sanitarian is maintained in each of the member town offices for the convenience of the local communities in obtaining permits and getting questions answered.
Currently the District has a web page on the Town of East Hampton website
Many of the District's forms are available there.
Some of the Environmental Health programs the District operates are:
- Food service licensing and inspection
- Well permitting and inspection
- Septic system permitting and inspection
- Site plan reviews for new construction
- Soil testing for lots to be using on-site systems
- Environmental lead assessments when a child is reported with an EBL (elevated blood lead level)
- Provide information related to radon, asbestos and other hazardous substances
- Provide information on vector control (rodents, mosquitoes)
- Housing Code Compliance inspections
- Day Care and school inspections
- Bathing water sampling
In addition the District runs a number of Community Health Programs with other partner organizations.