Location: 7 Waverly Avenue - basement, Portland Connecticut
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 71, Portland CT 06480-0071
Telephone: 860-342-6795 Hours of Operation: Monday & Thursday 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Portland Food Bank, which is run by a fantastic group of volunteers, is supported by donations from individuals, groups and businesses throughout the community and state. It provides to Portland residents: non-perishable foods, toiletries/personal care items, holiday food baskets, Christmas gifts, and occasionally winter jackets, gently used clothing, furniture and household appliances. In collaboration with the Portland Youth Services Department they distribute Back-To-School backpacks filled with school supplies and shoe vouchers (pending program availability).
Requirements: Proof of residency, photo ID, and completion of in-take interview required to assess client needs.
The Connecticut Food Bank Mobile Pantry Program is currently scheduled to be in Portland (Senior Center parking lot) on the 2nd Thursday of the month from 12:30 to 1:30 PM - please follow their guidelines:
- food is distributed on a "first come first served" basis
- you cannot hold space in line for another person
- you do not have to stay in line once you receive your number; please line up by number at the start time.
- only one number can be given per household
- you cannot get food for another person not in attendance; assistance is provided to those who can make it to the truck
- if you need assistance going around the truck, ask and a volunteer or staff will help
- please be courteous of others
If schools are closed due to snow, the mobile food pantry will be cancelled - they are unable to reschedule. They will NOT have distribution on the following holidays:
New Year's Day; Martin Luther King Day; Memorial Day; Independence Day; Labor Day; Thanksgiving week; Christmas Eve & Christmas Day